So I am no master in the kitchen but I am queen of MY kitchen, and my king loves (most of) my concoctions and recipes on a whim. 😉 My husband is a meat lover. He is also a greasy finger licker, French fry eater.. Which brings me to the reason why I made this recipe. He loves cheese steak and he also has been loving the gym! Soooo.. His requests have been that I make him “healthier” food. Cheese stake with out all that bread really isn’t that “unhealthy”. This recipe is great for two people and is even yummy reheated for lunch! 🙂
Cheese Stake Stuffed Peppers
1lb of sliced Roast Beef (I used Italian style)
8 Slices of provolone cheese
2 Green bell peppers
1 Medium onion
1 1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms fresh any kind will do great (we are a mushroom loving house so I used all I had around)
Mccormicks Grill Mate barbecue seasoning
Your favorite BBQ sauce
1.Slice your onion and mushrooms. (I use and egg slicer for my mushrooms) Then caramelize in a large pan on the stove. For around 25mins. Half way through sprinkle the Barbecue Seasoning over the mixture.
2. Slice the roast beef into 1 inch strips and add it to the frying pan. Fry until heated through out. Take off heat.
3. Preheat oven to 400°. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and take the seeds out. Line each pepper with a slice of provolone. Smear about half a teaspoon of barbecue sauce in side each pepper.
4. Now comes the “stuffing” part! Take the mixture from skillet and divided evenly into the four peppers.
5. Put in the oven for about 15 minutes.
6. Take out of the oven and place another slice of cheese on top of each pepper. Put back in and leave in for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how dark you want the cheese on top.
When the timer goes off its time to eat! We enjoyed adding extra BBQ sauce to our peppers. Enjoy!! 🙂